Making a beautiful bow doesn’t have to be hard. All you need is ribbon, floral wire, and a pair of sharp scissors. You can use a bow maker to make your bows, or you can tie them by hand. In the video below we are going to show you how to do both. *Some links in this post may lead to websites where we are an affiliate. Click [HERE] for our disclosure statement.*
Supplies Needed to Make a Bow:
- Wired Ribbon – we love to use 4″ ribbon, 2.5 inch ribbon and 1.5 inch ribbon, and 1″ ribbon (click here for our favorite ribbon shop)
- Florist Wire or Pipe Cleaner
- Bowdabra Bow Maker (optional)
Tips for Making Bows:
- Use wired ribbon. If you are making bows for wreaths, swags, floral arrangements, Christmas trees, or gifts, it is typically best to use a wired ribbon. This will ensure that your bow loops look full and sturdy.
- When using multiple ribbons, a good rule of thumb is to have at least one solid ribbon, one striped or plaid ribbon, and a showstopper style ribbon. This ribbon can be a seasonal design, or something eye catching.
- Use a heavy duty floral wire or pipe cleaner to tie off your bow. We use 26 gauge floral wire.
- Pull the wire very tight to ensure that your bow doesn’t fall apart.
- Spend a good amount of time “fluffing” your bow. Be sure that all of your loops are fluffed out and full and shaped evenly all around.
Watch our Tips for Making a Bow Video:
Bows can be used for so many things. You can use them on wreaths, mailboxes, front doors, Christmas trees, or gifts! If you loved this DIY project be sure to let us know! If you would like to learn how you can make and sell designer door wreaths, be sure to join Design With The Pros Club HERE!
If you enjoyed this post, you may also like:
- Easy Bow Tutorial
- How to Make a Stacked Bow
- DIY: How to Make a Bow
- The Five Biggest Mistakes of Wreath Making
- The Best Bow Makers for Making Bows
- DIY RAG BOW
- Best Ribbon for Fall