This southern style, easy cheese straws recipe is simple to make and tastes so good!
Our family absolutely loves cheese straws. We simply can’t get enough of them. We make them for all of our parties and events. A lot of times, we just eat them straight out of the oven, so we end up having to make two batches to make sure we have enough for whatever get-together we are making them for. These southern cheese straws are the perfect, savory snack.
This easy cheese straw recipe will be your new go-to treat for all of your parties and get-togethers. We call these “cheese straws”, but they are actually more like cheese drops. You could shape them like straws if you want to, but we always just make them into round “drops”.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS EASY CHEESE STRAW RECIPE
- Cracker Barrel Sharp Cheddar Cheese (it needs to be Cracker Barrel brand – trust me on this one. It is so good!)
- Margarine (melted)
- Rice Krispies
- Cayenne Pepper
The first step in making these cheese straws is to melt the margarine. You absolutely must use margarine for this recipe. If you use butter it will not turn out like it is supposed to.
Next, shred the cheese. For this Cheese Straws recipe, we use Cracker Barrel brand sharp cheddar cheese. It really is the best for this recipe. To make the cheese straws, you need 10 ounces of shredded cheese. In the past, stores carried a 10 ounce block of the Cracker Barrel sharp cheddar in stores, but I have not been able to find the 10 ounce package anywhere in a few years, so I now use one 8 ounce block and 2 ounces of a second block of cheese.
After the cheese is shredded, combine all of your ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
Then, roll into small, bite size balls. Place the cheese balls on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until the bottoms are a very slight brown.
I actually prefer to take the cheese straws out of the oven right before they turn brown, to get just the perfect texture. If you leave them in too long they will get hard, so keep a check and try to take them out right before they start to turn brown. Let the cheese straws cool and enjoy!
- 10 Ounces of Cracker Barrel Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Sticks of Margarine (Melted)
- 2 C of All Purpose Flour
- 2 C of Rice Krispies Cereal
- 1/2 tsp of Salt
- 1/2 to 1 tsp of Cayenne Pepper (to taste)
1. Melt margarine in microwave safe bowl
2. Shred cheese
3. Mix all ingredients well
4. Roll into small bite size balls
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
6. Place cheese straws on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until the bottoms are a very light brown. (if you take them out right before they get brown they will have the perfect texture.)
7. Let cheese straws cool and enjoy!
These cheese straws are so yummy, and are sure to be your new favorite party snack! You can make extras and freeze a batch to heat up later. These re-heat really well and are great if you need to bring something to a party in a pinch.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also like:
- White Chocolate Haystacks
- Tiger Butter Fudge Recipe
- Peanut Butter Fudge Recipe
- Easy Cheese Ball Recipe
- Easy Corn Dip Recipe